Real Estate Lawyer North York, Toronto
Office provides the following services in real estate law:
- Preliminary review agreement of purchase and sale of the property, whether retail or a brand new (purchase from the builder)
- Property search
- Review status certificate (if real estate is a condo)
- Preparation of document regarding purchase (including review mortgage) and sale
- Arrange title insurance with Stewart Title Insurance Guarantee Company
Land Transfer Tax (LTT) Calculator
Use the following form to estimate the amount of residential Ontario and Toronto (if applicable) land transfer tax you will be required to pay. Land transfer tax is applied on the sale price only. The calculator is for estimation purposes only.
Please note that first home buyers may be eligible for a rebate of up to $2000. For more information regarding this Land Transfer Tax calculator, please visit the Ontario Ministry of Revenue.
DISCLAIMER: The information provided above of a general nature for informational purposes only, and is not intended to represent the definitive opinion of the Law Office of Natalia Denchik. To view our complete disclaimer, please click here.
Property Transfer (or Purchase) Tax / Land Transfer Fees
Property Transfer (or Purchase) Tax / Land Transfer Fees are calculated between 0.5-2% of the property's total value (Land Transfer Tax is not applicable in some other provinces). They are generally 1% of the first $200,000 of the value and 2% of the remainder.
Since year 2005 the individuals who are buying their first home and now exempted from Property Transfer Tax (PTT) as long as they meet the following criteria, namely the First Home Buyer:
- is a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident
- has to file two Canadian tax returns within the last six years
- must occupy the property as their principal residence for the first year of ownership.
- has never owned a home anywhere in the world
- has to reside in the Province of Ontario for at least one year immediately prior to purchase
Family Lawyer Richmond Hill & Newmarket
There are also proportional exemptions to PTT for first-time home buyers which vary by region based on the fair market value of the property.
Commencing December 2007, first home buyers are entitled to exemption of the provincial Land Transfer Tax (up to $2,000) regardless whether they purchase as resale real estate property or a home from the builder.
Commencing February 2008, the city of Toronto (as its own Land Transfer Tax which allows first time home buyers of both new and resale homes to qualify for a rebate.
If the property is vacant land, the house must be constructed within one year of closing and the buyer must live in the house for the balance of the year.
There are other criteria needed as well to qualify for the PTT exemption, so it is best to consult a lawyer or notary.
Contact Real Estate Lawyer Natalia Denchik
Barrister & Solicitor, Notary Public
Fax: 416- 227-2296
45 Sheppard Avenue East,
615 Davis Drive,